Monday, March 1, 2010

Weekly Challenge – "Change the World"

Throughout time, art has been used to change the way we see things … the way we think. In speaking about the great artist, Caravaggio, Simon Schama said “… it was believed that artists were given their talent by God to bring beauty to the world and to put mortal creatures in touch with their higher selves or souls.” Of Pablo Picasso’s “Guernica”, he said “… Picasso connects with our worst nightmares. He's saying here's where the world's horror comes from; the dark pit of our psyche. ”

Art has been used to teach us, to amuse us and to open our eyes to social issues. But it’s not just the masters who have changed the world with their art. In more recent times, we’ve seen the power of the Aids Quilt as it travels the country. We’ve seen the generosity of those who knit and crochet, using their art to change the lives of military people. A little closer to home, the members of Inspiration Avenue will use their art in an auction to benefit Angel Faces, a charity which helps girls who have facial disfigurements due to burns.

So … this week’s theme is all about changing the world in all the many forms it can take. Perhaps a beautiful piece of jewelry will change the world of the wearer. A small knitted booty will certainly change the world of the baby who wears it. Perhaps your piece will have a powerful message … for example; a piece using recycled materials can change the world with its Eco-friendliness. Or maybe a piece will elicit strong feelings of compassion, love and kindness. A painting … a sculpture … a collage … all can have power.

What can you create that has the ability to change the world?

Your submission is due by noon on Saturday, March 6th (please note that this is a change to our regular challenge schedule). Leave a link to your blog in the comments on this post so we know where to find your creation. And don't forget: you'll be entered into the March Giveaway with a fantastic prize from Angie of Artangel.

17 comments:

luthien said...

cyndi, what a fantastic write up and a fascinating theme! the creative arena is boundless for this one ... as long as it means something or manifest a change to the creator :) awesome!

divapixie said...

I would like to enter an item. Where do I submit the photo?
What information is needed? I didn't see that info listed in your blog but maybe I missed it...?

divapixie said...

OK... found the info.... I'm so blind some mornings.
I am submitting this piece for consideration. Its symbolizes a love of the natural world in which we live. I used the word "beauty" in this piece to really bring attention to what I see in the trees and my surroundings. This is a resin pendant utilizing an original photograph taken by myself.
http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=1016521

Avalon said...

I made a blog post for my submission. Thanks for this opportunity. Here's my link:
http://designsofavalon.com/2010/03/01/inspiration-avenue-challenge/

Stephanie Mealor Corder said...

Fabulous theme, Cyndi- I can't wait to get started!!!

Ribasus said...

My entry is a sculptural healing amulet from my ELEMENTALZ line which is titled "May The Force Be With You." Here is the link to this piece in my Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26089417
The shop is called Divine Design:
http://divinedesignbyforet.etsy.com
Blessings!
Elizabeth

Shelinwa said...

How very fun wow the POSSIBILITIES...

peggy gatto said...

If I could, I would!!!!!
http://wwwpeggysamusement.blogspot.com/2010/03/inspirationavenue-change-world.html

Ange said...

Oooh can I post a piece I finished last week?? It is a calligraphy of a phrase by Helen Keller: No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, sailed to an unchartered land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit. I published it on my blog last Friday because I was soooo happy to have finished it. But optimism, conviction and courage (all embodied by Helen Keller), seem so necessary for changing our world that they just do fit in. You can find it HERE:

http://wordsonwood.blogspot.com/2010/02/thats-human-spirit.html

ChatElaine said...

Wow what an amazing challenge, now I really do need to go think about this one before I light my torch!!! HHmmmmm!!! Tapping head!!! Something is a brewing!! 80))

Amy said...

Here is my ATC for the fun challenge.
http://heartnsoul-amy.blogspot.com/2010/03/inspiration-avenue-change-world.html

thank you for looking and great theme

sharon said...

If I could change the world:

Softness would come in pastels of pink, yellow and green flannels.

Cuddle would be a term reserved not just for the very young, but those of all ages.

Flannel would be the new denim and minx would be the new corduroy.

We would see life through the eyes of a child, and gaze through the window to see the "Daisy Bugs!"

http://shop.uniquebabyquiltboutique.com/product.sc?productId=33&categoryId=2

Magpie said...

This is a wonderful theme, Cyndi! It resonates with so many people, as evidenced by all of the submissions that have come in already!

Hmmm...it's a lot to think about...the world needs changing so badly!

artangel said...

Wonderful theme Cyndi, can't wait to see what comes of this one, and well done on such a great write-up!

Tammy said...

Hi there. Got this link through Twitter. Interesting idea and I knew immediately what my piece would be. You can find me at http://www.fantasydreamknits.blogspot.com I have a bit written on there about it.

priti.lisa said...

Here's my recycled Art.

http://pritistudio.blogspot.com/2010/03/change-world.html

Great idea Cyndi!

Misobel (Mary) said...

I'm really glad I was invited to participate :)
Here's my link http://misobelstudio.blogspot.com/2010/03/inspiration-avenue-challenge-cool-head.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...