Monday, May 28, 2012

School's Out!

Happy Memorial Day to all Americans and Happy Monday to anyone who doesn't celebrate Memorial Day.


Hi. It's Lou Anne again.  I had so much fun hosting the mermaid challenge last week that I volunteered for the next one. Some of you may not know that I was an elementary school teacher for over 20 years.  Since many of my friends are teachers, I can't help but think about the last day of school and the promise of a summer vacation.  Of course, teachers don't get paid for their time off.  When I was teaching I found my vacation time getting shorter and shorter every year.  Still,  the idea of school being out for the summer has stuck with me since childhood.


I loved going to school when I was a child, but that excitement I would feel at the end of the school year is indescribable.  It meant that I could stay up late playing kick the can and chasing fireflies and sleep in as late as I wanted.  It promised long summer days, laying by the community pool and trying to get a tan, even though I ended up with just a bad sunburn and lots of freckles.  My summers consisted of camping and fishing trips, visits to see relatives, and vacations at the beach.


One year I attended Vacation Bible School at a local church and made a mosaic chicken from different colors of beans and macaroni.  My friends and I put up lemonade stands.  Occasionally we presented spontaneous theatrical performances for anyone who would watch.   Every Fourth of July I'd adorn the spokes and handlebars of my bicycle with red, white, and blue crepe paper and proudly ride in a parade around my neighborhood. One year, my dad helped me plant a miniature garden that produced a tiny watermelon and two little ears of corn.  The smell of freshly mown grass, the sound of the sprinkler, and the taste of a ripe strawberry bring it all back for me.
Graphics Fairy

Most adults don't have an extended summer vacation.  In fact, kids don't even get the whole summer off anymore.  But there is something special about the completion of a year of school.   It's a major milestone for all children. You might be a parent who has kids that just finished the school year.  Like the Old Woman in the Shoe, you may be hoping summer will pass by quickly.

Graphics Fairy

This week's challenge invites everyone to take a minute and imagine that school is out for the whole summer.  Maybe that means you get to relax all day and drink iced tea while reading romance novels.  Perhaps it's your invitation to get those white sandals out and wear them all the way until Labor Day.


It might bring back a memory from childhood.   Perhaps you'll think of making more mermaids or just creating a piece of art because you feel like it and it makes you happy.  It's up to you what you decide to share with us.  I'm confident that everyone will have some connection with the fact that SCHOOL IS OUT! If you don't believe me, here's your certificate:
Reward Of Merit
Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

7 comments:

IMGIRL said...

Thank you Lou Anne for taking on the challenge again this week! What a gem you are!!!! I am so thrilled that my second project worked into your theme, so I guess I will be the first! Company is still here, but I stayed up last night and got it posted and ready to go.

Have a wonderful day!
Hugs to you!
Kim

Shelinwa said...

you are awesome Lou Anne This is great.

Shelinwa said...

you are awesome Lou Anne This is great.

see you there! said...

I smiled when I opened this message, I coincidentally used the same free clip art on my post today.

Looking forward to joining this challenge although it has been a very long time since I was in school, LOL!

Darla

peggy gatto said...

fun to know and great challenge!

Annie said...

Dear Lou Anne,

I wouldn't have guessed that I would take up this challenge. Since everyday is a holiday, I thought "What did I have to contribute?". Then I realized that I had nothing but my entire life of dreaming for summers and a bit more free time. And that did it. A simple push in the right direction and I was drop-kicked into my past and arrived at today.

Loved doing this.
Annie

see you there! said...

My summer girl is posted this morning. School won't be out here for a couple of weeks tho.

Darla

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...