Monday, May 21, 2012

Where do the Mermaids Stand?


Hello everyone! I'm Lou Anne, AKA Misplaced Mermaid. I'm one of the newer members of IA and this is my first time hosting a challenge. I was able to choose one of my favorite topics for this week and you'll soon see that I'm a mermaid fanatic. I'll start with a little bit of mermaid history.
 

Mermaids are mythological aquatic creatures with the head, arms, and torso of a woman and the tail of a fish, as represented in the folklore, literature, and popular culture of many countries worldwide.
 

A male version is known as a “merman,” while either males or females may be referred to as “merpeople” or “merfolk.” That being said, I suppose a “Mailmerman” would be a “Mailmerpostaldeliveryperson.” Fortunately, not many mermaids go into this field due to the fact that walking is a major part of the job.


In Greek mythology, mermaid-like creatures, called sirens, would use their beauty, charm, and lovely singing voices to lure sailors to their deaths.


In both English and Scottish legends, mermaids were unlucky omens for sailors.  They even have been known to swim up rivers to freshwater lakes.


Sometime between 1895 and 1905, John William Waterhouse, a member of the British Royal Academy, painted  “A Mermaid.”  Though hidden in a private collection for many decades, this painting resurfaced in the 1970’s and is part of the Royal Academy collection.


In Denmark, The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen captured the imaginations of generations of children and adults alike.  A bronze sculpture of her, made by Edvard Eriksen in 1913, is a major tourist attraction in Copenhagen.



Many movies have been made depicting mermaids.  Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, Splash,   Pirates of the Caribbean:  On Stranger Tides, and The Little Mermaid  depicted mermaids as either evil or beautiful creatures and captured the hearts of many worldwide.

Claimed sightings of both living and dead mermaids have come from places across the globe.  In British Columbia, sightings were reported during the late 19th century and again in 1967. The infamous pirate Blackbeard and his crew reported seeing many of these bewitching creatures, perhaps after drinking several bottles of rum.  In Israel, a prize was offered in 2009 for $1 million for any person who could prove the existence of a mermaid off its coast.  That prize hasn’t been awarded to date.

Beginning in the mid 20th century at an aquatic park called Weeki Watchee Springs State Park in Florida, young ladies have entertained audiences by performing underwater as mermaids.


Submariners during WW2 wore US Navy Mermaid Liberty patches on the inside of their sleeves, which only showed when their sleeves were rolled up.  This pair is advertised on Ebay.


Finally, my favorite piece of literature about mermaids is in Robert Fulgham’s book All I Need to Know Learned in Kindergarten.”  He explains that mermaids are special people who don’t quite fit into the standard “box.” I believe that many artists, myself included, fit that category.  You can view him telling the story here. 


So for all of you mermaids or mermen out there, I invite you to stand here on Inspiration Avenue beside my fellow mermaids and me and share your artwork as it relates to the topic of Mermaids.  I am excited to see how each of you interprets the topic.  Here is one more example from my portfolio.  

                                                                 Birth of a Mermaid






This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

16 comments:

Tamarai said...

OK - I am up for it. My first ever inspiration avenue weekly challenge thingy. If you don't count the postcard swap. Nervous. OK.... here goes.

sandee said...

I know you don't realize this, but I am doing a mermaid altered book, so I am going to make a mermaid bookmark for the book. I am also going to pass this link to a friend of mine who is a mermaid! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

IMGIRL said...

Oh Perfect!!! Mermaid land...where Dreams are made... :)

I have something I have been wanting to make and I think this theme will fit the bill for it!!

Thanks Lou Anne for this fun theme and I loved reading all the Mermaid info..fascinating and magical all in one!

XO
Kim

peggy gatto said...

Awesome presentation!!!
I will get busy with your inspiration

Rachel K said...

Perfect inspiration. Thank you so much.

Lori Saul said...

http://ravenpainting.blogspot.com/2012/05/ebbtide.html
My mermaid entry is on my Ravenpainting blog.
Thanks for looking and a great challenge!

Lou Anne said...

I'm so happy that this challenge inspired you! I can't wait to see your creations. Thank you for participating.

The Belly Dancer said...

What a lovely collection of mermaids as well as their history. I am now following your blog and would like to know more about the challenge.

Ritu Dua said...

Was really inspired by your theme and so am linking up!
Looking forward to many more of such happy occasions!

IMGIRL said...

Lou Anne, Loved the theme, loved your post ... I am loving Mermaids!

FUN! and Done!

Lou Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
city said...

nice opinion.. thanks for posting.

see you there! said...

Like the info, had fun with the challenge.

Darla

Craftymoose Crafts said...

That was so much fun, Lou Anne! I enjoyed reading the post--thanks for the inspiration!

Jennifer McLean said...

Hi Lou Anne,
Just wanted to keep you up to date, I've been continually monotoring your Mr. Linky and fixing the wonky links that sometimes show up (or actually DON"T show up, lol)

You did a great job, girl!

~Jenn

Lou Anne said...

I just posted my mermaid for the challenge. I had so much fun this whole week! I loved the fact that people were enthusiastic about the topic and it was wonderful to come and see each entry. Thank you all for your participation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...