Monday, December 10, 2012

12 Days of Christmas



a partridge in a pear tree.

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me,
two turtle doves...



On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me,
three French hens...

creationsbme

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me,
four calling birds...


On the fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth days of Christmas, my true love gave to me,
five golden rings, six geese a laying, seven swans a swimming, eight maids a milking...


On the ninth, tenth, and eleventh days of Christmas, my true love gave to me,
nine ladies dancing, ten lords a leaping, eleven pipers piping...



 





On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me,
twelve drummers drumming...


treehillcloud

Here at Inspiration Avenue, we thought it might be fun to have a challenge about the 12 Days of Christmas.   The images of the gifts were chosen from items in Etsy Shops.  I had trouble just choosing a few. 

There are lots of ideas about the origin of the song, and even an urban legend telling that Catholics used the song to hide teachings in the bible, back when it was a crime to be Catholic.  You can read about the history and meaning of each of the gifts HERE

This challenge can be interpreted however you want.  You can make an image about the literal 12 Days of Christmas song, focus on just a portion of the title, such as the number 12, or go off on a tangent according to the whims of your muse.  We hope you just have fun with it.  If you need some inspiration, listen to the song sung by children here

The deadline is Sunday, December 16 at noon Eastern time.  Leave a thumbnail of your entry with our Mr. Linky gadget and a comment in the comments section.  Then have fun hopping around and seeing the other entries.    Sorry I can't give you twelve days for this one!
Hallmark Card

******************************************




8 comments:

lorik said...

A great collection of christmas art here! I like the variety of styles - the tempstudios pic is my favourite!

Magpie said...

A challenging theme! I love the inspiring art you chose to help make the challenge a bit easier.

Shelinwa said...

Love it. Thinking cap on

Shelinwa said...

Love it. Thinking cap on

Lou Anne said...

Well, I didn't produce a piece for this week but my alter ego, Nadine, did. She usually does comedy but this year she had to brag about all of her lovely gifts.

peggy gatto said...

I have tried unsuccessfully to up load my entry, So soory!

Catharine said...

A little Santa? In the snow? Christmas cheer to all :)

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Angels are not mentioned in the 12 Days of Christmas, but they could be singing the song, right? Merry Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...