Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekly Challenge-February Holidays

Happy Monday!  Yes, it's Lou Anne from Inspiration Avenue, hoping to inspire you this week. There are bunches of holidays in February so I focused on the ones that fall between February 11-17.

 Today, if you didn't know it, is "Clean Out Your Computer Day."  If you're anything like me, you've madly downloaded all kinds of digital images and today would be a perfect time to sort through them.  Do I really need 27 pictures of a pink bow?  Sure, all of them were freebies, but they're almost identical.

This one is a keeper for sure.  It came from Cajoline.  And I do think it has a real diamond in the middle.

It's also "Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day," "White T-Shirt Day," and "Make a Friend Day."   Please don't get confused.  It is not "Wet T-Shirt Day."  That's an entirely different thing.  I really think all three of these are self-explanatory.  If you do have a question, please don't hesitate to ask.

Tuesday, Februay 12,  is Abraham Lincoln's Birthday.  He was our 16th president and is one of our best loved leaders.  We celebrate his birthday on a Monday each year so we can have a three day weekend.


On Wednesday, you might want to celebrate "Get a Different Name Day."  It's crucial that you choose a name that suits you and you must inform your friends and family if you intend to officially change your name.  But just for the day, I think I'll go with something both colorful and flowery.  Maybe Laurel Mazukabelle Montgomery.  (Mazukabelle was my personal word for Magenta when I was a little girl.  I still love the sound of it.)  I'm not sure about the first and last names.  I'll have to ponder it.
Marta Van Eck from Deviant Scrap created this mazukabelle tape.

On Thursday, February 14, there are several fun reasons to celebrate.  First, there's "Ferris Wheel Day", which commemorates the birthday of George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr., the creator of the first Ferris Wheel.
This carousel is from Altered Artifacts.

"National Organ Donor Day" also falls on February 14.  It doesn't actually suggest that anyone give up their organs just to celebrate the holiday but it does strive to bring awareness to the issue and encourages people to give serious thought to signing up to donate their organs.

Graphics Fairy donated this organ.
February 14 is Valentine's Day.  That's the one I love. When I was a child, I couldn't wait to decorate my Valentine shoebox.  At our Valentine exchange party, I'd receive a Valentine from everyone in the class.  That was the rule.  You didn't have to give any out, but if you did they had to be for everyone.  Some of the kids gave candy in theirs.  Once I learned to cut a heart from a folded piece of paper, I was ready. 

The 15th of February is National Gumdrop Day.  Spiced gumdrops are my favorite so I'll probably have to eat some on Friday, just to honor the day.   It's also "Singles Awareness Day," where everyone who is single can honor other single friends who felt left out on Valentine's Day.


On Saturday, the 16th, you can celebrate "Do a Grouch a Favor Day."  I am not sure whether I'll be doing my husband a favor or he'll be doing one for me.  If neither of us wake up grouchy that day, I'm sure we can find someone else to practice on.  There are plenty of grouchy people out there to do favors for.
These fruity folks came from Wacky Stuff on Flicker.  The background was from Pewter 7.

Finally, if none of those holidays suit you, why not celebrate "Random Acts of Kindness Day" on Sunday?  The sky is the limit there.  You might bake chocolate chip cookies and leave them on my doorstep.  (I mean, leave them on someone's doorstep.)  You might send an anonymous greeting card.  A random act of kindness is anything that is meaningful to the recipient.
Cajoline made these cookies. 
For this challenge, I hope you'll consider the holidays I mentioned.  Choose the one that appeals to you and make an image related to it.  I hope I've given you food for thought.  I'm really leaning toward Valentine's Day myself, but I understand that some people may not want to focus on that one.  Post your link by noon on Sunday, February 17.  Be sure to link back to us so visitors can see all of the entries.  Have a good time!

If you visit the source of my holiday information, keep in mind that some of the holidays mentioned are official holidays and some have unknown or mysterious sources. 

Click here to learn more about these holidays.  


So, I hope everyone has a happy "Clean Out Your Computer Day."  I've already begun deleting excess bows.  I'll try to report back later.

Credits for Valentine collage image components:
Cajoline Scraps, Scrappin' Cop, Craftyscraps, Jessica Fors Photography, Raspberry Road Designs, K. Joss, Kimeric Scraps, Far Far Hill, Granny Enchanted, Coffeeshop, Graphics Fairy, Pixelberry Pie, and Piccolina Designs.

____________________________________________


9 comments:

Maggie said...

Who knew there were so many holidays this week? Personally, I like Gumdrop Day (spiced ~ YUM!) and Do a Grouch a Favor Day. I'm hoping to get lots of attention that day.

Thanks for this entertaining challenge, Lou Anne!

Linda said...

what a really fun filled post!! I had no idea of all these "named" days! Since valentine's Day is my fave holiday and I've been creating lots of Valentine projects I had to link up right away :)

peggy gatto said...

I went to valentines!!!

Jan said...

I honored Abe Lincoln this week. Today is his 204th Birthday!

Beverley Baird said...

Love all those extra holidays you highlighted!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Nancy McCarroll said...

What a fun challenge. If I were in town at my home I would definitely have tried to join in this challenge. Ngreat idea.

Lou Anne said...

Well, I had to choose Valentine's Day. I made some Valentines so I wanted to share them. Tomorrow I might celebrate "Random Acts of Kindness Day." I hope you all will do the same.
XOXO

Maggie said...

Yes, Valentines Day it is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...