Monday, September 9, 2013

Weekly Challenge-Kodak Moment


These days, it's easy for us to take pictures with our digital cameras.  Many people simply pull out their cellular phones to snap a photo.  Our lives can appear on social media sites in the blink of an eye. But it wasn't always that easy.
In the early days of photography, people had to pay a professional photographer in order to have their portraits made.  Sitting for a portrait required patience on the part of the model and the backgrounds were artificially created.
In 1885, a man named George Eastman figured out a way to make photography accessible to the general public.  You can read about the history of his company, Kodak, here.   In 1888, the first Kodak camera was put on the market.  Their slogan was "You push the button, we do the rest" and snapshot photography was born.   Snapshots were described as a "photograph that is 'shot' spontaneously and quickly, most often without artistic or journalistic intent," according to Wikipedia.  Those early cameras were preloaded with film, sold to a customer to take pictures, then mailed back to Kodak for film removal and developing.  That was because the film had to be unloaded in a darkroom. 
The first daylight loading camera was came out in 1891.  It allowed the consumer to use roll film and to load and unload the camera by himself.  It's hard to imagine, in this age of digital photography, only being able to take a few pictures per roll of film.  By 1902, amateurs could develop their own film. You can see a timeline for Kodak here that details the development of other film related products, such as x-ray film and motion picture film.  

Kodak recently celebrated their 125th anniversary so this challenge is designed to celebrate the snapshot, often referred to as a "Kodak Moment."  The Urban Dictionary describes a Kodak Moment  as "a rare, one time, moment that is captured by a picture, or should have been captured by a picture."


 My challenge to you is to create an artistic piece that captures your idea of a "Kodak Moment."  It can be a photograph, but it doesn't have to be.   You might want to incorporate a photgraph into your piece, but this challenge doesn't require photography of any kind.  I always love seeing what your imaginations come up with.  Please post your entries no later than noon EST next Sunday, September 15.  Thanks for playing this week!
Credits for Image Components:
Raspberry Road, Far Far Hill, Friendly Scrap, Just Jaimee, HG Designs, K. Hadfield, Etc. Dan, C. Smith, Lavender Designs, Amy's Designs, Art Gal, Connie Prince, Linda Lou Creations, and Rainbow Designs.

__________________________________________

5 comments:

Mascha said...

Thanks for the very interesting and ispirating Post.

Lins Artyblobs said...

Your challenge gave me the push I needed, I've been wanting to do the silhouettes for a while.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I believe I actually used Kodak film to take my 15 year old photograph. Blessings!

Lou Anne Hazel said...

I haven't had a chance to visit everyone's blog yet, but I will! I'm glad people shared their Kodak moments. (Don't tell but I think my Kodak moments were shot on Polaroid film. Shhhhhh.)

Kim P said...

I think it is wonderful to have these Kodak moments in the I age. My techie world has been void for a few months. I have to renew myself with Etsy again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...